#KNEE PAIN AND #BURSITIS
Bursae are sacs of fluid found between structures like bones and tendon to reduce friction between the structures as they move by one another. There are many around the knee.
#INFLAMMATION of a bursa –> BURSITIS. The main bursae are labelled🔝
Common Causes of Bursitis:
Important History Questions:
1. Occupation? carpenters or plumbers on their knees a lot
2. Red and Swollen? Very local and well defined. Not widespread.
3. Trauma? Fall or Hurt
4. Worse for fully BENDING the knee?
5. Pain on prolonged sitting in a low chair?
Then it could be a bursitis
Most Commonly Affected Bursae:
1. HOUSEMAID’S KNEE i.e. Prepatellar Bursa – Common in professions who spend a lot of time on their knees eg carpenters and plumbers. Due ti chronic stress on bursa.
2. CLERGYMAN’S KNEE i.e. Superficial Infrapatellar Bursa – commonly occurs with JUMPER’S KNEE due to repetitive strain on patella ligament in jumping activities.
3. PES #ANSERINE BURSITIS (not in image) – on the upper inside of shin. Common in RUNNERS, OVERWEIGHT MIDDLE AGES WOMEN, TYPE 2 DIABETICS AND OVER 50S WITH KNEE #OSTEOARTHRITIS.
4. SUPRAPATELLAR BURSITIS (above kneecap) – trauma or repetitive trauma from kneeling or overuse for example.
Hope that was helpful. If that is you, you may benefit from treatment. Don’t hesitate to contact or DM us. Stay tuned for the next knee pain post!